Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I am a Dumbass

Note: I tried to post this last night, but we were too far off the grid. Sorry for the delay. I will try to post some pix later today, hopefully from Idaho.

ANTELOPE ISLAND, Utah -- Any idiot should have been able to figure this out. The physical toll from a week of nearly non-stop travel. The stress from a series of near catastrophes. A car/home in need of a thorough cleaning and general upkeep. Plus, Marley wrestling with an extra dose of hormones – and I say that matter-of-factly not disparagingly in the least. It is what it is. And me, still recovering from an emotional crucible on Sunday.

It all so obviously added up to a much needed down day. A real Day of Rest. Otherwise, you’ve got a cocktail more dangerous than any Molotov. Any idiot could have seen that. But clearly I am not just any idiot.

No, instead we pressed on Monday. We had an imaginary schedule to keep. On the surface everything was fine. But every time Marley and I tried to talk about the events of Sunday conversation trailed off into uncomfortable silence. Things were strained between us, which is so very rare these days.Trying to process a day of magnitude while traversing dizzying high-altitude passes in a 30-foot RV is probably not the best idea in the world. We were stressing. The kids were stressing. The roller coaster was hitting a gut pulling low after the soaring highs from the day before.

But we soldiered on. Until everything melted down this morning. I was wrung out, Marley was wrung out. Recriminations were flying. We were on the verge of disaster. Everything was falling apart.

And then…

And then something magical happened. Instead of descending into a death spiral, I reached out to my wonderful, amazing, crying wife and I held her. And then we prayed. At first the prayer was awkward, clumsy, unsure. But it steadily became more open, honest, naked.

We allowed ourselves to let go of our angst-bombs that were ticking, ready to explode and just surrender our brokenness to God. We acknowledged our inability and our lack of strength and asked our heavenly father to pour out His ability and His strength.

And suddenly, the dam burst. Crying in each others’ arms in the very heart of the Heart of Gold we made amends first with God, then each other, and then with our kids. We laughed, we hugged, we cried some more. Noah, returning with his sissy – who as part of God’s very gift to us – had been just outside giving us just the privacy we needed to work through all this, stepped in asking innocently, “are you alright now?” Oh yes, we were definitely all right now.

The fog had lifted. It was a new day.

And so we didn’t rush out of Utah in a blaze of dust. We lingered. We had breakfast for the first time on this trip in a restaurant. A waitress brought us coffee. We had seconds, even though it wasn’t very good. We left when we were good and ready. We laughed and smiled and finally talked as we drove along the byway.

We did not make it to Idaho, but instead Marley found the coolest of diversions. For the first time on this trip we are actually camping. The place is Antelope Island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake.

We got here by early afternoon. We hiked out over half a mile from sandy beaches across salt flats and into the water to swim in its cool brine-filled waters. Like the Dead Sea, the salt is so thick here that you can literally float on top of the water if lie flat on your back. We cooked steaks over an open fire as the sun set behind distant mountains dancing red across the water. A pair of coyotes stalked rabbits a few hundred feet away, eventually disappearing in the scrub brush. As we finished our meal, I think they were beginning their own, howling – I swear -- in long victorious cries as the crescent moon peeked out over a nearby ridgeline.

I like to think that I will never again put an itinerary before the needs of my wife or kids or even myself. But if I slip, which knowing me I probably will, I hope that at the very least I can remember this day and how it so quickly began anew, stripped down and naked before a loving God, broken and healed at the same time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to elaborate on the events of Sunday?

So glad to hear that you're taking the time to enjoy His blessings.

Many blessings to you all -

Anonymous said...

No pressure, but I too, am wondering when you will elaborate on the events of Sunday.

Anonymous said...

To my dearest son and daughter-in-love, my sweet granchildren who warm our hearts and enliven our lives:

I am so proud of you. You whom I admire and treasure beyond anything I have ever known, save God Himself. Thank you for being all that you are: real, genuine, God-loving children who are honest and sober and stupendously inviting in all your ways. Bravo! Well done! Congratulations. You are living live with all glory being paid to God, the giver of life itself. Well done. All love, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Who are all the anonymous people leaving comments? Are these people you know? Just wondering...
Anyway, I too am wondering about sunday. However, no rush at all! I'm just glad you had a down day and things are going well. Sometimes the stress comes creeping in before we even know how stressed and tired we really are. Please be careful out there.
We love you,
Angie

Anonymous said...

oops, sorry...Now I know one anonymous person is jon's mom..."Hi Jon's mom!" Hope all is well!

Love,
Angie

Anonymous said...

Jon, Once again you could have warned me...Read it with a box of tissues. You have such an amazing way of letting us all into your heart and life. I am soaking up every post and must say trying to absorb your awesome example of what it means to "keep it real." Enjoy the day. Love to all, Cathy

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the Douglas Adams quotes were submitted by me, Jeff, old high school buddy and frequent contributor to the delinquency of one Jon Anderson.