Saturday, June 7, 2008

Under the Overpass

COLUMBIA, MISSOURI – It was smooth sailing all through our drive on Friday. Until we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by tornadoes, that is.

It was funny because my mom’s oldest friend Carmen, who we will visit on our way through Kansas, had just given us a full Driving Through Tornado Alley Briefing just the day before. Well, maybe it wasn’t funny, but at least it was well timed.

We were about a half hour outside of St. Louis when we saw the wall of darkness rising up like mountains on the horizon before us. It was the kind of wall of darkness pilots make wide hundred-mile-long detours around if they can. A pulsing glow of lightning thumped like a thunderous heartbeat from deep within the mass of swirling black clouds. It was freaky.

Marley had just called her brother Chris to touch base and thankfully he was in front of the computer. She was just in the middle of making a joke about tornado warnings and taking immediate cover as Chris checked the local weather radars and said there was a tornado warning and that said we should take immediate cover.

There was a pause at this point.

“Are you serious?” she said

“It says one tornado has already touched down and more are possible,” he said.

Within a few minutes we found some low ground under an overpass. There was a crew of construction workers topside that hadn’t heard yet. We passed on what we knew and they scrambled to get everything battened down as the full force of the storm descended on us. They would later say on the local radio station that in the next 30 minutes it would rain 3 ½ inches and that at least three more twisters had touched in our immediate vicinity. And that another wave of storm front was moving up quickly from the south for Round Two.

It sounded like we had just enough time to make a break for it and, wishing the construction guys good luck and Godspeed, that’s exactly what we did. We listened on the radio as the next front battered the area we’d just left even as beautiful blue skies opened up in front of us.

Amelia was a total trooper through it all, scared but focused on tending to her nervous brood of cats. Noah, of course, slept through the whole thing.

We made it another few hours before settling in for the night here in Columbia. The kids had a nice long swim in the pool before bed and had another good swim just now as we prepare to hit the road.

As we sat together eating breakfast Amelia, reflecting matter-of-factly, said “I know why we didn’t get hurt by the tornadoes yesterday.”

Marley and I both looked up. “Because I prayed,” she said with a shrug, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. And of course it was.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see your blog again. I hope everything goes well and can continue to run from bad weather.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I woke again this morning with swollen eyes.

I am drawn to read the blog over and over again. I still have the same initial, emotional reaction...tears, lots and lots of tears. As I read now, with no one around, sobs, heeving, deep, emotional, heartfelt sobs.

The kids and Marc know that if I am at the computer and I am showing obvious signs of crying, that I have been on the blog.

As I lie awake last night unable to sleep I thought of you all. Where were you? How far did you get? How are the cats? Who is doing the driving? Are the pet friendly hotels really pet friendly? How is the Odyssy doing on gas milage? When is the next post coming? I finally dozed off somewhere around 3am.

I love the simple believing of children. It's times like that when you think to yourself "They were listening! I did teach them something!".

John, I have said it before and I will say it again and agian. You have an incredible way with words that captures every detail of the scene you are describing or the emotion you are expressing. The power of written words is such a lost art in our day to day culture. You are like a master painter with a work of art that captures the attention of all who pass by. Thank you.

Marley, I love you and miss you.

diana

Anonymous said...

I have to apologize now. To you and Marley and the kids definitely. Perhaps to everyone.

You see, I prayed that you wouldn't move any further away -- that something might prevent you from distancing yourselves any farther from us.

Yes, I know it was selfish. But let's face it, I've come to grips with the fact that inherently, I'm a selfish guy. Despite being at peace with my feelings and motives... okay, scratch that. I obviously was not at peace with my fealings and motives, because I began to feel as though I was being wrapped in a soothing blanket of guilt. I quit praying (hence the end of the storm) and wished you Godspeed on your journey.

And again, I missed you all. Funny, since you were already a thousand miles away, but this just felt, well, different. Another time zone perhaps? I don't know. Another two thousand miles? Probably.

Whatever the reason, I feel as though I'm reaching across an ever expanding chasm with this blog. Last time it was fun. This time, not so much.

Crap, I need to go to bed. It's 3:30AM Goodnight.

Oh, and you can turn around now and relocate near Tampa. People will come and visit you in Florida, really!

Jon Anderson said...

Diana -- I know what you mean about the ache. We have felt it too. I also think there was a lot of wisdom in my friend Jeff's comments from the previous post and his warning against "managing the pain."

In fact, I think his words were so brilliant I feel compelled to repeat them here, if only to try and help them sink in for me. He wrote:

"I celebrate the sadness because it tells that you have invested yourselves and loved (been invested in and loved too). You know we live in a world of constant transition and must be purposeful to not allow heart callousing. The sadness at a departure always tells me that I have remained open and alive; that I am not managing my pain."

And thank you for the kind words regarding these posts. The last time, I really wondered if I shared too much, crossed too deeply into places that might be uncomfortable for people to read. Ultimately, though, I find that the only thing that works is writing what is on and from my heart. It is is such a welcome relief from journalism where my personal thoughts and feelings were constantly needing to be censored.

Finally, thank you for (unknowingly) co-opting my artist metaphor even as I was in the middle of writing the latest post. It was like a little smiley face from God.

Ted -- I think perhaps you are in need of a Ted-Jon Distance/Relationship Diagram to help better illustrate the practical realities that our move to Seattle will bring for you and I. To wit...

BEFORE MOVE:

YOU DISTANCE ME
Ted---ONE PHONE CALL AWAY---Jon


AFTER MOVE:

YOU DISTANCE ME
Ted---ONE PHONE CALL AWAY---Jon

As you note, and what is not reflected in the diagram, the only actual difference is in fact a new separation of time zones. Three in fact. In practical terms, the only thing this really means is that there is a somewhat small chance that I may wake you up by mistakenly calling too early or that you may wake me up by thoughtlessly calling too late.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is alway that slim possibility that you might inadvertantly make a small mistake or that I might just be completely thoughtless.

You rock.